Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chicken Potpies

This Recipe is from my cousin Laura.  I think that it is yummy!  Lexi says "I don't like chicken pot pie!  (makes 2 potpies 6 servings each …Laura feels like it is more like 3 or 4)


Ingredients:

4 cups cubed cooked chicken (I used 4 breasts boiled or 1 rotisserie chicken)

4 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes thawed

1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained  (Laura put a green bean, wax bean and carrot mix and added a ton of corn…in total more than the 16 ounces) 

1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted

1 can condensed cream of onion soup, undiluted

1 cup milk

1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon pepper

¼ teaspoon garlic powder

1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry



1. In a large bowl, combine the firs11 ingredients. Divide between two 9 in. deep dish pie plates. Roll out pastry to fit on top of each pie. Place over filling; trim, seal and flute edges. (I have no idea how to seal or flute edges so I just made sure it was pushed onto the pie plate) Cut slits in top or make decorative cutouts in pastry.

2. Cover and freeze one potpie for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining potpie at 400 Degrees for 35-40 minutes (I think that I had to cook over an hour-ish) or until golden brown.



To use frozen potpie: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Cover edges loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees; remove foil and bake 50-55 minutes longer or until golden brown.
 
Variations:  I made one w/ frozen puff pastry and it was great.  I then just froze the filling and the next time I made it I put it in a 9x13 (maybe an 11x8ish) pan and covered it w/ foil for about an hour and then opened a can of Grands biscuits, spaced them on top and bake the amount of time on the can.   This was great!  (My favorite :)  Lexi still says "I don't like Chicken Pot Pie" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment